BridgeCom offers a package that includes the radio, hotspot, and programming. We use the DV MEGA Dual (VHF/UHF) band model. This runs a software package called "Pi-Star". This software was written by Andy Taylor MWØMWZ from England.
Below you will find information on how to work with Pi-Star. One of the BEST resources out is a web site written By Toshen KEØFHS. The wealth of information there is presented in a way better than we could attempt to present it. Also, Craig W1MSG has a series of YouTube videos on Pi-star which have a lot of information also.
- How do I find the Ip address of the DVmega?
You connect it with a cable to your router. Then you log in to the router to see what IP address is assigned to the dvmega. If you cannot do that, then there is a great little program which will sniff out the IP address of the devices on your network: AngryIP website
- Looking for a cigarette power cable for DVMega? The DVMega (Raspberry pi 3) requires a mini-USB connector, and any mobile cell phone cable for Android (Samsung, LG, Google) will work fine.
- If I don't have any WiFi connection, can I still use the DMR Plug N' Play via ethernet cable?
Yes. Not a problem.
- Can I set up one of your hotspots on my us cell account?
The hotspots connect to an INTERNET connection, like a hotspot on your phone, similar to how a pc would get internet from your phone.
- I powered up my hotspot but do not hear anything- why?
The hotspots are idle (asleep) on each talk group until YOU key the talk group up to make it active. Just listening will cause it to go back to sleep after 10 minutes. It needs to see receive activity from you to continue transmitting the talk group. One way to get around this is to log on to Brandmeister and set one static talk group on your hot spot on the admin page. I caution you to set only ONE as it can handle only one at a time, not like a repeater with 2 time slots that can handle 2 at the same time.
- How can I tell if I am connected to the internet?
One quick way is to send a test transmission to the Parrot channel. This is a squawk box that lives on the Brandmeister servers- No Parrot, no connection.